Limited Quantity Available now!
On lucky occasions, a harvester can find a large cauliflower the size of 20lbs !
Cauliflower mushrooms are foraged from the summer months up until late fall on the West coast. These mushrooms may have some traces of pine needles or debris in the natural folds so carefully clean and prepare for your desired dish.
Need a recipe idea?
Try our favourite recipe for cauliflower mushrooms
Cauliflower Mushroom-Cabbage Gratin
Serves 4-6 as a side dish or vegetarian entree
Oven-safe baking dish
- 1 lb green cabbage core and tough inner leaves removed. Diced ½ inch
- ½ cup shallot diced ¼ inch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoon for finishing the gratin
- ½ lb cauliflower mushroom cleaned
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup chicken stock preferably homemade
- ½ cup toasted breadcrumbs like panko, or sourdough
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
Sweat the shallot in 1 tablespoon of the butter for 2 minutes, then add the cabbage, 1/4 cup of the chicken stock and season to taste lightly with salt and pepper, cook until the cabbage is wilted and tender, about 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Try not to have the cabbage brown, if the pan gets dry, add a little of the chicken stock. Drain the cabbage of excess liquid in a collander, you should end up with about 2 cups of packed, tender cabbage. Reserve.
Wilt the cauliflower mushrooms and brown very lightly in the other tablespoon of butter, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Cool the mushrooms, then mix with the cooked, cooled cabbage, thyme and gruyere.
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Pack the mushroom-cabbage mixture In a wide gratin dish or casserole and drizzle the remaining chicken stock over it. Mix the breadcrumbs with the parsley, sprinkle over the top, then dot the whole mixture with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until hot throughout and browned, then serve. The gratin can be assembled ahead of time, then brought to room temperature before baking.